Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My Christmas Reflection - Rev.M.D. Rogers


I refuse to write a about how overwhelmed I was by the holiday season. I'm
not going to wax eloquent about how the season I loved most as a child has
become the source of excruciating stress. I'll not waste a word on why it's
possible for me to reclaim Christmas.


Because I've done it. I've reclaimed Christmas. I've tiptoed into December with
a calm mind and a quiet spirit. I don't feel overwhelmed at all.
Lest you think I'm bragging, hear me out. I'm calm only in the aftermath of
crisis. For months I lived so far beyond my emotional, relational, and physical
capacity that in November I hit the proverbial bottom. Lacking the mental energy
to prepare adequately for a series of sermon about Advent, I ended up
embarrassing myself, and letting down some lovely people who had
trusted me to help them further their very worthy cause.



There's something about
public humiliation and letting down people you respect that gets one's
attention. Immediately I canceled every commitment I possibly could, went away
for a long weekend to reflect on the state of my life, made an appointment with
THE wise counselor who has guided me through difficult eras in the past, and
enlisted close friends to help me chart a new path…

No comments:

Post a Comment