Monday, November 7, 2011

The Joys Of Fatherhood -by Eric Payne

Before I became a father I put an extreme value for my time. If you messed with my time I was ready to fight. It?s not that I was even doing anything all that important. I wasn?t up in the club for my weekly grind, I didn?t have a weekly poker night with the fellas that was set in stone. It was just that my time was simply that?mine.So with the arrival of kids in my life my I was initially resistant because if kids require anything its your time and lots of it. And not only do they require it, they deserve it! Knowing this prior to fatherhood I dreaded the idea of having to give up my time to some snot-nosed kids. Now that I?m a father with some years on me, I can barely remember what I was doing with all that time I had as a single, kid-free man. I do know that I was wasting a large percentage of it.I don?t regret the ?freedom? that I?ve traded for becoming a father. The joys of the experience far outweigh the what many on the outside looking in would consider negatives. Below are just a few of the joys I?ve experienced since taking on the name, Dad:While walking with my daughter, knowing instinctively when her hand is outstretched and reaching for mine.Hearing ?Daddy!? screamed with excitement when I come home each day and knowing there?s a genuine hug that?s following right behind it.Planning to assist in the fulfillment of my children?s dreams, NOT living out my own through them.Hearing the word ?Daddy? knowing the different meanings behind it based on the way it?s being said, when it?s being said and knowing how to respond each time the word is spoken.The strength and tenacity that I now have as Dad that no trainer, gym nor any other life experience would have been able to teach.Being blessed with the opportunity to pour wisdom into a young boy aspiring to be a man just as my father poured his wisdom into and sometimes onto me.Learning to appreciate the little things because being a parent often doesn?t allow you the time or finances to chase around after the big things.Realizing that the ?big things? aren?t really all that big because some of the biggest things in life are the little ones and not so little ones who call you Dad.These are just a few of the unexpected joys that have come since I became a father. These joys make the hard work of being a parent seem like a cakewalk most days. And on those other days when it?s not easy at all I remember the joy and of course the responsibility of? it all, and then I?m okay.And I know I?m not the only one. What are some of the joys you?ve experienced since you?ve become a father? We?d love to hear from you in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment